ImageTrans is a computer-aided image and comic translation tool. It can automatically locate text areas and perform OCR operations using state-of-art OCR technology and a homebrew text areas merging and detecting algorithm, which is specially designed for comics (also webtoon, manga, manhwa and manhua). The original text can be automatically erased and the translation be reinjected.
ImageTrans has a high interoperability that it can export text to Word and Excel files and use scripts to interact with image editors like Photoshop.
ImageTrans is also a computer-aided translation (CAT) tool, which supports corpus concordance, translation memory, terminology management and machine translation. It has a sound effects words search engine designed for comics. All of these are designed to help translators complete their jobs with quality and efficiency.
ImageTrans is cross-platform (Windows/Mac/Linux) as same as BasicCAT.
ImageTrans is the result of the thesis for my master’s degree: Design and Implementation of a Computer-Aided Comics Translation Tool.
Text Areas Detection
Corpus and Sound Effects Words Search
Examples of Translated Comics
Come to me , Love —— From issue 41, Boy Loves Girls (Golden age comics).
Text Searching Page: http://comics.xulihang.me/search.html
Get a Copy
- Mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply for purchasing ImageTrans.
- Complete the payment with Paypal or Alipay.
- You will get a download link and an email.
Or self purchase on FastSpring: link.
- ImageTrans for personal use: $10
- ImageTrans for commercial purpose: $200
Please follow the installation instruction.
If you are from academic institutions, you can email to email@example.com with your institution’s email to get a discount. Please tell us who you are and what you are gonna do with ImageTrans.
- Add machine translation for screen reader
- Remove some third-party libraries
- Update OpenCV to 4.5.0
- Support getting text area confidence in offline mode and show progress
- New OCR plugin: WinRT OCR. It uses the built-in OCR API of Windows Runtime on Windows 10. It requires installation of relevant languages on the system
- Some machine translaiton plugins of BasicCAT are packaged
- UI improvements
- Generate mask and text-removed images accroding to order and show progress
- Inpainting is now asynchorous
- Validate geometry before generating text mask
- Fix a resized mask not matching with resized image problem
- Add text area action menu to imagescrollpane
- Maskeditor can now regenerate mask of selected area and scale images
- Text Remover can remove text in selected area
- The default text mask color is reset to red
- Add text-removed image editor
- Save text mask in png format, making cover text mode supports areas which have a black ground
- New action: Duplicate text area
- Vertical text engine for CJK (Chinese, Japanese and Korean)
- AutoCorrect (useful for solving the full-width punctuations input problem on macOS)
- Toolbar has a new tool: Font
- New project and import pictures actions now share a same saved path.
- Better color picking
- New plugin: OCR plugin. Code is open source: github. PaddleOCR is supported.
- New ocr engine: ABBYY (use ABBYY FineReader’s command line interface, windows only)
- New tool: Screen Reader. It can be used as a screenshot tool and screen captures can get OCRed immediately. Captures can also be appended to ImageTrans’s projects.
- A Toolbar is added to provide more operations like text box splitting, merging and selecting.
- MouseCursors are set correctly for different scenarios.
New option to convert vertically aligned Japanese text to horizontally aligned for better OCR results.
- Add Batch Translation
- Add text areas detection based on scene text detection
- Save paths for choosing files and folders
- Add external inpainter (experimental)
- Add localization support. ImageTrans can now be displayed in two languages: English and Chinese.
- More settings
- RichText support
- XLIFF import and export
WebP-Converter. Convert JPG/BMP/PNG to WebP and vice versa.